Thursday, July 2, 2009

And the Plot Thickens


After the elation of yesterday's good news, I came crashing back to reality today. My Radiation Oncologist called and asked that I come in for a conference. I went straight over and met with him promptly. It would appear that there is a serious complication. The tumor in the brain stem is very low. They can try to do the procedure, placing the frame under a general anesthesia. However, even with the frame placement, there is still only a 50/50 chance that they will even be able to proceed due to setup constraints. Assuming that these constraints are overcome, there is a mere 1mm margin for error. Additionally they would have to use a lower dosage of radiation than usual which could lower the effectiveness of the treatment. Wow, this was certainly not anticipated.

My alternative is to have brain stem radiation. Statistically the treatments carry about the same success rate. The brain stem radiation carries significantly less risk than the Gamma Knife procedure. However, my chemo would then have to be suspended during the projected 24 treatments of radiation. My oncologist had expressed concern initially about keeping the rest of the cancer in check while we were dealing with this. She was apprehensive about having to suspend several treatments while this process proceeded but adamant that it would simply be too toxic to run them concurrently. Regrettably, my oncologist is out of town this entire week. I have a call in to see I can meet with her first thing on Monday to evaluate the risks and benefits of the two treatment plans.

I need to call in my prayer warriors on this one. I need divine guidance on how to proceed this time. This will not be an easy decision.

9 comments:

petersonclan said...

As always, I am praying, my dear friend. May God give you and Howard a supernatural peace, and a knowledge of what He desires you to do.

Jackie Wilkerson said...

Hey Cindy, Surely not the news you wanted to hear, but hopefully you'll feel peaceful after talking to Heather. I'll be praying for the Lord to give you and all those concerned the divine guidance you seek. My sister had radiation to her spine and it took care of it. Maybe the treatments will take less time than they originally thought if they proceed that way and still be a safe period to be without chemo. We'll be praying. Love, Jackie and Dean

Mom Of Many said...

Sweet bloggy friend,
You have a prayer warrior right here...and I will be earnestly lifting up your need to guidance and wisdom...asking Him also for perfect peace for both you and Howard...

I cannot imagine how hard this news hit after such joy - I'm just so sorry...

Praying from Iowa,
Much love, Linny

Gail Snotherly said...

Cindy,
I'm with you in spirit since I cannot be there physically. You would not want me there in the physical. But we could put on one hell of what Grandmother used to call an organ recital ! God bless. Gail

Karen said...

Cindy, courage! Hang in there - our prayers are with you!

Linda up north said...

Oh Cindy I am praying. I am sure Monday seems a long way off... but all is in God's perfect timing.

momyshaver said...

I read your updates on the MOMYS email list. I am praying for you.

Mama Temple said...

Praying Cindy... the Lord has had, has, and will have mercy sufficient and love abundant.

Anonymous said...

May the Lord hold you and your family in His loving arms as you face the challenges of the future. May His love and grace sustain you. My prayers are with you.

Post a Comment